The Coogee Island Challenge launches the ocean swim season for summer and is a great close out to the end of our Series.
It’s a real bucket lister for any ocean swimmer, and so of course we had to include it in our Series as another way to push yourself to your SUPER point. Circling Wedding Cake Island off Coogee Bay is equal parts challenging, rewarding and fun which is why it suits the SFSuper Series so well! Please join us and take your bite of the cake this November!
REGISTER HERE ON OUR WEBSITE!
About the Event
Coogee is renowned as a beach with little surf, due to the island that sits offshore, protecting the bay from weather and rough seas. But the island, and the rock shelves at each end of the beach, also make the water inside the island some of the bumpiest in Sydney. All of this contributes to the character and the challenge of this swim.
We have a fantastic ocean swimming training program written and opportunity to join the Shelly Swim Club in Manly NSW for ocean swim training sessions in the lead up to the event to get you to around the island!
Make sure you like the SFSuper Series facebook page page and join the SFSuper Series Swim Club on Strava to keep up with all our training tips and swims.
Note: Training for ocean swimming can be done in pool sessions and in open water. You should always train in open water with others, and ensure you check the water conditions, tides, weather and if the body of water is patrolled.
Course info and options
2.4km around the island swim: The main event! The 2.4km course starts at the north end of Coogee Beach, circling out around Wedding Cake Island, and then back to finish up at the middle of the beach.
1 km splash and dash: This course is more protected, following a circuit inside Coogee Bay. Its less choppy but challenging none the less if you haven't done an ocean swim before.
What you get with us
When you sign up for the SFSuper Series your entry fee is the same as it would be if you signed up directly for the Coogee Island Challenge, however you have some added bonuses! Here’s what you get:
- All the inclusions that all other entrants receive when signing up for the Coogee Island Challenge event
- A 12 week pre-event training program written by our specialist coach including a mix of pool sessions and open water sessions
- Access to specific group training ocean sessions in Manly NSW with qualified ocean swimming coach at Shelly Swim Club (if you aren't on the Northern Beaches and interested in group training, particularly for the waves/ocean swims, please give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to find you a trainer and group)
- Regular team updates with training and fundraising tips and videos
- A swimmer’s kit including a towel, drink bottle and other surprises
- A great supporter group cheering you on through the event
- All the camaraderie and support of the SFSuper Series team including a launch event, and post race event
- If you fundraise in excess of $1000, we will reimburse the cost of your race entry
What we ask of you
Like all our events, the aim of the game is to have fun and feel a sense of achievement! We love our SFSuper Series community and want you to bring your friends along too.
We also ask you to set up a fundraising page and make a SUPER effort to raise $750 for each event you enter. This may sound like a big amount, but once you get started you'll be amazed how quickly it adds up. We are here to help you with tips, advice and motivation. Check out our fundraising ideas and tips for inspiration!
We also make it more worth your while with some awesome fundraising prizes up for grabs during the lead up to the event!
All money raised helps fund vital medical research to find a cure and effective treatment of Sanfilippo Syndrome. More details on the foundation, research projects and condition can be found here.
What you'll need
Training for the swim will commence in the spring months. You can do pool sessions at an indoor (or outdoor pool) in your own time following the training guide we provide. The group waves sessions will be in Manly with the Shelly Swim Club on Sundays. Depending on how much you feel the cold you may want to consider investing in a swimming wetsuit.
Depending on final numbers we will arrange return transfers for our swimmers from the Northern Beaches to Coogee and back so you don’t have to worry about parking before the big swim (additional cost applies). More details will come closer to the event.
Around the Island (2.4km)